Pilot Cutter Olga.
As a 1 st mate you will be responsible for supporting the skipper in all aspects of vessel
operation, safety onboard and maintenance.
You will take charge of safely coordinating group tasks on deck so you will need to have excellent communication skills, be able to remain calm under pressure and maintain a positive outlook. Also responsible for keeping safety and maintenance checklists updated, and logs completed, you will need to have good organisational skills and be committed to following Sailing Tectona’s Safety Management System.
Skills and Attributes
The successful candidate must:
- Have a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore qualification with Commercial Endorsement
- Have a valid Medical certificate (e.g ML5 or ENG1 as required with above)
- Be prepared to undertake enhanced DBS check
- Hold or complete a safeguarding for young people and vulnerable adults certificate
- Have a passion for working with people of all ages and from all backgrounds
- Be able to lead and positively engage with all members the group onboard
- Communicate well even in challenging situations
- Be compassionate and able to understand the needs of others
- Be able to remain calm in stressful situations
It would be beneficial but not essential that the successful candidate:
- Have a RYA Cruising Instructor qualification
- Hold a Food Hygiene Level 2 certificate
- Have experience of the sail training industry
- Have experience in outdoor education
- Be passionate about historic vessels and maintaining them
- Be confident in basic maintenance skills and use of tools
Type of Position: Full time, seasonal / permanent to be negotiated
Location: Based out of Plymouth, with occasional voyages to other UK and European ports.
Salary: between £16,000 and £21,000 dependent upon experience and qualifications.
How to Apply: Please email your CV along with a covering letter detailing your motivation for applying, why you believe you are a strong candidate and contact details for two references to Ben Williams (Ops Manager) at email@example.com. For enquiries or an informal chat, please feel free to call Ben on 07595 908 336.
Closing Date: Applications to be received by 6th March 2020. Successful applications will be invited for an interview during March 2020.